Sunday 23 August 2015

Leeds College of Art Degree Show 2015.

Going, going, gone...

The textiles sector of Leeds College of Art focuses primarily on printed textiles and surface pattern design. I have visited the graduate exhibiton for the past few years and the show itself was where I originally found an interest and connection with pattern and print, so i was excited to go back this year and see how my views and interests had changed since starting university. The LCOA show never fails to deliver an abundance of colour and pattern, I loved seeing the confidence and unique styles of the students work and I constantly found my self reeling off ideas as I worked my way around.

Bellow i have selected two LCOA students who's work I found the most inspiring and relatable to my own practice;

Benjamin Craven;
What immediately attracted me to Benjamin's work was his bold colour palette and playful patterns, he achieves such a strong and confident aesthetic continually throughout his work and by working with a variety of different media there was a simple yet professional depth to his working style.
I particular enjoyed Benjamin's mixed media approach, where he used a variety of different wooden blocks printed with his designs, by adding this 3D element to his display it allowed the singular printed designs to come together to crate a larger scale piece. The importance of line and shape within Benjamin's work is a characteristic I can overlap with my own practice and since viewing his work at the LCOA i have come away with many new ideas and inspirations and a real willingness to push my use of colour and composition.


Katie Giles;
Katie's work was by far my favourite of the entire show, her innovative way of exploring materials and surface texture allows her overall designs to derive from an extensive development process, which really shines through in her final pieces. I connected with Katie's work due to her exploration of mixed media techniques and by viewing her collection as a whole it allowed me to understand how i could push my interest in 3D techniques even further. I have seen a variety of artists use resin within their work recently and by seeing Katie's work in person it allowed me to see how effective this technique can be, so is something i am eager to try out for myself in the near future.


No comments:

Post a Comment